Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

introducing: my first quilt

 I've been doing a lot of this lately.


And loving it.

I decided to try my hand at quilting. 
I knew it would be easier to start with a really simple baby quilt.
I am very pleased with my first experiment.

Maybe that's an understatement.
I'm thrilled with my first quilt.
In fact, I stood up and clapped when the sewing machine finished the last stitch.
Clapped.

With no further ado, my very first quilt.


Seriously, guys.
I'm impressed that it even begins to look like a quilt.
I was expecting the first one to resemble a thrown-together mess.

Check out the darling animal fabric.


If you are interested in a baby/toddler quilt, let me know!

I think I'm hooked.

I loved the quilt-making process.
The precision
The detail. 
The art. 
The result.

I see more quilting in the future.


These pictures were taken before the quilt's first washing.
After a cold wash and low-heat dry, the quilt has shaped up well.
The edges flattened smoothly around the batting - no more rippling effect.
It has a slight antiquing finish around the quilted stitches.
It looks nice and snuggle-y.

Quilt specs:
Cotton fabric (preshrunk)
100% cotton batting (preshrunk)
Clear nylon quilting thread
Self-binding
Hours of fun

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jenni--the quilt is thrilling and so earlier in your sewing projects. My mom would be thrilled--she always wanted one of her 4 girls to take up quilting. Wish I could have taken you to the recent Lincoln Quilt guild show. You're on your way! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I've often played with the idea of quilting but just haven't gotten myself to try it. Looks like you've discovered a new talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! I'm enjoying the new hobby so far!

    ReplyDelete